httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_core.c
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:00:23 GMT
> > Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > >
> > > I question whether this chaged required a MMN major bump.
> >
> > *shrug*  The core config record is exposed only to files
> > that #define CORE_PRIVATE.  In our base package, that means
> >
> > include/http_config.h
> > include/http_request.h
> > main/http_config.c
> > main/http_core.c
> > main/http_log.c
> > main/http_main.c
> > main/http_protocol.c
> > main/http_request.c
> > main/http_vhost.c
> > main/util_script.c
> > modules/experimental/mod_mmap_static.c
> > modules/proxy/mod_proxy.c
> > modules/standard/mod_rewrite.h
> > modules/standard/mod_so.c
> > modules/standard/mod_status.c
> > os/netware/mod_tls.c
> > os/win32/mod_isapi.c
> >
> > Whether those files actually make use of the structure is
> > another issue entirely; here are the ones that do:
> >
> > main/http_core.c
> > main/http_protocol.c
> > main/http_request.c
> > main/util_script.c
> >
> > All of those are going to get rebuilt when the http_core.h
> > file changes, so it could be justified that there be no bump
> > at all.
> >
> > However, who knows what 3P modules use the structure?  They
> > probably oughtn't anyway, so I've no problem with changing
> > this to a minor bump or even none.
>
> If they do simple accesses to the structure, it shouldn;t matter since the structure
was
> extended from the bottom, right? However, if they do stuff like sizeof(struct blah) and
> memcpy the Apache structure around, they are screwed. Shouldn't be doing that anyway
> think.
>
> Bill

We really should note when the MMN (minor or major) is changed in the CHANGES file. If the
minor is changed, we need to explicitly state in the CHANGES file what strutures changed,
if any changed just in case someone is doing funky stuff mentioned above that relies on
knowing the size of the structure.

Bill