httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: PR 7492 (IPv6 and Listen *)
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 11:51:56 GMT
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> writes:

> Is anybody out there working on a resolution of PR 7492? The bug
> is basically that, when you use "Listen *", it listens only on IPv6
> interfaces, and never opens any of the IPv4 interfaces in the system.
> (This may actually work to listen on IPv4 interfaces on some systems, but
> not all systems implement section 3.7 of RFC2553, and for good reason.)
>
> It seems a bit odd that this bug has been open for more than eight months
> now, since the fix to me doesn't seem so terribly difficult. Are there
> some other issues not mentioned in the PR that are impeding progress?

This issue has certainly been in the back of my mind but:

1) there is an easy work-around (add another Listen statement)

2) this doesn't seem to be a problem on most systems

3) I don't like the idea that one Listen statement means more than one
   listening socket

My current feeling is that this should be a permanent restriction and
that we should document it as such so that people know what to expect.

Now beyond how the Apache internals work...  Perhaps APR should know
that this is such a system (that doesn't listen on IPv4) and Apache
install should see that and stick an extra Listen statement in the
config file at "make install" time.  We can't just put two flavors of
Listen in.  It will blow on most Apache installations.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to such a system, even though I do
use a number of systems with IPv6 support.
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...