httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: PR 7492 (IPv6 and Listen *)
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:01:09 GMT
"Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca> writes:

> > From: trawick@rdu163-40-092.nc.rr.com
> > [mailto:trawick@rdu163-40-092.nc.rr.com]On Behalf Of Jeff Trawick
> >
> > 3) I don't like the idea that one Listen statement means more than one
> >    listening socket
>
> I don't understand what you mean by that.  Listen * has always been a
> special case that listens to ALL available addresses on one port.  This has
> been the default behaviour of apache, and it is the behaviour that a naive
> user would expect.

I have great respect for what "Listen *" has always meant.  I have
great respect for the notion that an application needs to try hard to
simplify behaviors so that the documentation can be clear and concise.

Thinking from the implementation side, I can't help but note that this
"default behavior of apache" comes from the normal way that bind()
works, not from any trickery on the part of Apache.  "Listen *" has
always meant one socket.

Where I'm coming from in saying "I don't like" is that it seems like
a code ugliness and code maintenance problem for one Listen statement
to map to more than one listening socket.  Note that this would only
need to happen on systems that current Apache developers (and IPv6
developer(s) in particular) don't use, so maintainability is a real
issue.

This is not just a code issue but also a problem determination issue
(the use/interpretation of tools like netstat, lsof, /proc/pid/fd/*,
etc.).

As far as "naive user"...  If "make install" does as I suggested then
I don't see that the naive user is going to have a problem.  We can
even slap in a comment that says why we added the extra Listen
statement.

This isn't a closed issue for me, but I've been mulling it over for
months and this is all I have come up with so far.  Maybe that will
change.

(And in case Curt isn't familiar with how things work around here, he
should understand that just because the first person whose attention
he got might not agree completely with his desire, there are any
number of other people here qualified to take an alternate view and
implement such.)

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...