httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <>
Subject Re: PATH_INFO with filters (was: Apache 2 directory/files)
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 03:32:13 GMT

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Our own website, with it's .shtml approach, really sucked
> because relative paths could be made un-relatated.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Can you clarify?

The thing that people complain about is that mod_include should allow
PATH_INFO (since it can be useful), but the vast majority of documents
don't use it.  Then if you have relative links in the files, and someone
accidentally tacks some PATH_INFO on the end, you wind up with
infinitely-recursive paths.  That seems to be what you are talking about.
But the only way to fix that seems to be a directive, which is what you
are arguing against.   Only the user configuring the server can know
whether or not a particular document REALLY needs PATH_INFO.

View raw message