httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject PATH_INFO with filters (was: Apache 2 directory/files)
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:39:53 GMT

This also seems to be a problem for mod_include.

My naive analysis--without looking at the code--is that, since the core
handler is serving the files, they are treated as static and not allowed
PATH_INFO, even though they will be parsed by a dynamic filter.

It seems like the simplest (and perhaps best) answer to this problem is
simply to have a directive that turns on or off the ability to have
PATH_INFO (AllowPathInfo).  People have asked for such a thing
under 1.3, since it is useful to prevent the profileration of absurd URLs
and infinite loops in web crawlers.

Joshua.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:01:32 -0800
From: Jobarr <jobarr@herzeleid.com>
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Apache 2 directory/files

With apache 1.3.x I used the PHP module and a little trick to pass variables to a PHP script
without a "?".

I have a script with no extension in the root directory called "en". I use the .htaccess file
to tell Apache that this is a PHP file. All pages on my site go through this script. The URI
of "/en/about" runs the "en" script and then it looks at "about" and displays the correct
file. All other pages are similar.

For some reason, with apache 2 (at least 2.0.30-dev) it gives me a 404 page. This must be
a problem with Apache because any file with a "/" after it gives a 404 error instead of displaying
that file. "/index.html/text" would display "index.html" with 1.3.22, but it just gives a
404 in Apache 2.

Is this a "feature" or bug of Apache 2? Can it be changed?
-Jobarr