httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf httpd-std.conf
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:51:40 GMT
On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> >   1. Remove the directives in the document root <directory> section that
> >   are there to handle the index.html.var and put them in their normal place
> >   in the config file.  I see no reason to duplicate the directives and
> >   explanations.
>
> Josh, your change is altogether wrong, since the typical user doesn't create
> .var files to serve.  In fact it is further wrong since index.html.var should
> be attempted before index.html [which in multiviews, will trigger index.html.var
> after first wasting a dozen stats.]  So it was wrong - remains wrong, only
> differently so.  I seem to remember we switched index.html with index.html.var
> for some obscure reason - possibly related to the state of negotation.  With my
> boss telling me I'm finally pat on the 'extra' work-work assignments piled on my
> desk, I can FINALLY go back to the httpd tree and get negotation wrapped up :-!
> So leave this till negotation works this weekend.

I don't think I've changed anything functionally.  Whether these
directives are applied to the document root or the server context makes no
difference.  They will get used for the majority of user content either
way.

As far as the order of .html and .html.var, I did not change that.
However, I think it is fine the way it is, since MultiViews is turned off
in the document root.

So, I'm really not sure why you say this is wrong.  Perhaps you could
explain.

Joshua.