httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dave Seidel" <>
Subject RE: problem running 2.0.28 as Win2k service (was 2.0.18)
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:55:26 GMT
Well, since this is a developer machine, everyone (actually, "Everyone"
group) has full permissions from the root of this drive down.  And I would
have thought that adding my user to the Admin group would also give it

In any case, I went full out and added the user to both the Admin *and*
Backup Operator groups, gave it full, inheritable permissions from the root
on down, triple-checked that the Apache2 service is set to log on as this
specific user...and the problem still occurs.

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. []
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: problem running 2.0.28 as Win2k service (was 2.0.18)

Dave, win32 canonicalization requires list/read access to each directory
above Apache directories, to the root.  It doesn't have to have access to
their contents, but it needs to be able to list files, so it can determine
that "c:\rootdir" is spelled "rootdir" and not "RootDir", so we don't
escape from filename normalization, and bypass <Directory > restrictions.

To get file attributes of directories, the 'Backup Operator' flag may have
to be toggled, or they may not have permission to open a filehandle to
the directory.

View raw message