httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf httpd-std.conf
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 19:07:38 GMT

> From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@covalent.net]

> > >   1. Remove the directives in the document root <directory> section
that
> > >   are there to handle the index.html.var and put them in their normal
place
> > >   in the config file.  I see no reason to duplicate the directives and
> > >   explanations.
> >

> Simplicity.  Start _very_ simple and let them add their desired goodies
> to the default context.

Absolutely.

But this fundamentally conflicts with having a language negotiated page
appear when the user fires up a browser and points it at http://localhost/.
To enable things for that page, we must enable them for the document root,
which makes them enabled for most content.  The only change that I made was
to explicitly enable them for all content.  It seems to me the choices are

1. Ditch the "it worked" page.  It may have caused more trouble over the
years than it is worth.

2. Make the simplest possible configuration that allows the "it worked" page
to work.  I think this is what we currently have.  Having type-maps enabled
by default is not optimal, but shouldn't be very dangerous.  Having
index.html.var in the DirectoryIndex is also not optimal, but as long as it
is listed last it will not cause problems in most cases.  (Costing an extra
stat when serving the "it worked" page is much better than costing an extra
stat when serving every other index.html.)

Joshua.