httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/mappers mod_negotiation.c
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:14:39 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> Another side issue that I notice; we should _REALLY_ be
> presenting MULTIPLE CHOICES rather than serving the smallest
> file.  The smallest file -hack- is exactly that, someone
> worthless for reasons debated on this list many times.

If you are referring to the past behaviour that the size
would be used as a tie-breaker if multiple documents
matched and had equivalent quality, it is NOT a hack -- it
is designed and intended behaviour.  And if you think
the list has concluded multiple times that that is worthless,
I think you are indulging your revisionism gene because you
personally don't like it.  My recollection is quite different.

If the admin doesn't like that the smallest file is being
sent, he needs to adjust his quality values.  Or we introduce
a means of disabling this network-friendly heuristic; I'm
not opposed to that.
--
#ken	P-)}