httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: daedalus is running httpd 2.0.30-dev
Date Mon, 24 Dec 2001 19:39:52 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:

>>...as of Friday, 21-Dec-2001 12:51:40 PST.  So far, so good.  Please
>>speak up if you notice any weirdness.
>>

>we appear to be using less memory now than we were some months ago.
>ISTR using around 4 meg per process after fixing a leak.  But I haven't
>been tracking this regularly, so I can't pinpoint when/why it changed.
>
>Greg
>
>  PID USERNAME     PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU
>COMMAND
>51662 nobody         2   0  3060K  2432K select 0   0:01  0.10%  0.10%
>httpd
> 5341 nobody         2   0  3124K  2488K select 0   0:06  0.00%  0.00%
>httpd

I can't think of any single change that would explain the
decrease from 4MB to 3MB.  But a lot of the speed and scalability
improvements in recent months have been things like, "optimize
away the strdup calls in function X," or, "remove large static
buffer Y," so it makes sense that the cumulate effect would be
lower memory utilization.  Also, because mod_include now (from
2.0.29 onward) destroys each subrequest as soon as it's processed,
we should be seeing reduced memory usage for shtml pages with
two or more includes.

--Brian