httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Pavel Novy <n...@feld.cvut.cz>
Subject unexpected behavior of the Apache webserver
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:54:24 GMT
Hi,
I'm running Apache 2.0 (2.0.29-dev) on my test server (NetWare) and I've
found the following line(s) in server's log file recently:

xx.xx.xx.xx - - [05/Dec/2001:17:19:20 +0100] "GET http://www.s3.com
HTTP/1.1" 200 1456

I've made some work-around and found the following:

1. Server's document root is accessed in this situation (code 200
    unexpectedly returned). It's probably not a security issue, but
    I'm not sure. Regardless, it's obvious that incorrect lines may
    occur in the log files so skewed results could be produced when
    analysing them.

2. It seems to be independent on platform and version of the Apache
    webserver (also tested on some 1.3 versions - Linux, NetWare).

3. I'm able to reproduce this with protocol version 1.0 (see below),
    wondering that I'm not able to reproduce it with version 1.1 (see
    above) - code 400 returned when I'm trying to do the same, but I'm
    not too familiar with corresponding RFCs...

Sorry, no time to look into sources, but I think that there must be
something wrong in http parser.

Pavel

---
$ telnet dev.apache.org 80