httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: "make certificate" Doesn't Work, Apache 2.0.28, Unix, and mod_ssl (fwd)
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 06:37:40 GMT
On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 12:50:39AM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Acked.  Did we decide what we're going to do about this?  Or is it just
> waiting on somebody to do it?

I think wrowe and I were of the mind that we shouldn't have any
dummy certificates or any automated process to create a certificate.
This is a case where I believe it is best to not even try than do
something that'll blow up in our faces later (It Worked anyone?).

I think we said that it is okay to point at a HOWTO (now do we write
this HOWTO?).  That's not really our responsibility.  If you can't
figure out how to create a certificate from the documentation, we
don't want you running a SSL server that implicates the evil
Snake-Oil company.  =)

Sounds like the docs need to be updated.  -- justin