httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf httpd-std.conf
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2001 22:46:12 GMT
> But this fundamentally conflicts with having a language negotiated page
> appear when the user fires up a browser and points it at http://localhost/.
> To enable things for that page, we must enable them for the document root,
> which makes them enabled for most content.  The only change that I made was
> to explicitly enable them for all content.  It seems to me the choices are
>
> 1. Ditch the "it worked" page.  It may have caused more trouble over the
> years than it is worth.

+1 billion!!!!!

> 2. Make the simplest possible configuration that allows the "it worked" page
> to work.  I think this is what we currently have.  Having type-maps enabled
> by default is not optimal, but shouldn't be very dangerous.  Having
> index.html.var in the DirectoryIndex is also not optimal, but as long as it
> is listed last it will not cause problems in most cases.  (Costing an extra
> stat when serving the "it worked" page is much better than costing an extra
> stat when serving every other index.html.)

I would much prefer eliminating the It Worked page (and all its variants),
replace it with a simple message of "This web server is up and running,
but the content is under construction."  [with NO mention of it being Apache]
And then move the 50 or so language-negotiated intro pages to the content
within the separately access-controlled /manual location.

The default installation of Apache should maximize the performance of
simple flat files under docroot.

....Roy