httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Source in .msi packages
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 19:29:12 GMT
On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 02:04:53PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> That said, the /dist/httpd/ tree contains over 500MB.
> About 65% of that is in binaries/, and most files in
> there contain the source and a small delta (the binary
> proper).  It seems reasonable to suspect that we could
> ditch at least 200MB if we had one source package for
> each version (well, two if you count Windows), and the
> platform binary packages contained only the binary
> and build-against files (.h, .so, .a, et cetera), but
> not the complete server source.

+1.  I think it is the best use of our bandwidth to distribute
binaries and source separately.  It isn't like we're not going
to be providing the source.  =)  If you want the source,
download it.  Except for CR/LF munging, there should be one
definitive source tarball of httpd.

> How accomplishing the (not yet set) goal of reducing
> disk/network consumption balances against our historical
> policy of 'all the source, all the time' is something
> that perhaps is worthy of discussion.

Chances are people who are using binary packages do not have
a compiler.  It's a waste of bandwidth for them and for us.
Those who are interested can still download the source...

And, I think we're going to be setting up a mirror around here
in a few days.  =)  So, the less bandwidth and disk space the
better...

My $.02.  I need to go take two exams now...  -- justin