httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Async I/O question?
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 21:28:40 GMT
On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 01:10:42PM -0800, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> 2)  In a partial Async model, like what Dean is suggesting, the
> I/O thread needs to be able to accept multiple chunks of data
> to be written to the client.  This would allow you to handle a flush
> bucket, and the processing thread wouldn't stop processing the
> request, it juts wouldn't wait to continue processing if the data
> couldn't be written immediately.  The point is to get the processing
> threads done with the request ASAP, so that they can handle the
> next request.  The I/O for the threads can wait an extra 1/2 second
> or two.
>
> Think of it as three threads all working together.

<light bulb goes on>

> Now, this can be improved even more by moving to a four
> thread model, where one thread is dedicated to reading from
> the network, and one is dedicated to writing to the network.

Thanks for the clarification.  It helps tremendously.  So, we
aren't talking about a pure async-model - just where we attempt
to hand-off.  And, moving to a four thread model may be hindered
by the specific OS - like /dev/poll can indicate reading and
writing on the same socket.  Would we want two threads sharing
ownership of the socket?  Perhaps.  However, something like SSL
would complicate things (think renegotiations).

Now, some questions:

1) Any transient buckets will have to be setaside in this MPM.
   Is this a concern?  It seems that you also can't reuse the
   same memory space within the output loop.  Once I pass it
   down the chain, I must say good-bye to any memory or data
   pointed within the bucket.  (We couldn't even reuse heap
   data.)  Is this even a change from current semantics?

2) We could implement this solely by manipulating the socket
   hooks you added, right?  Would there be any change external to
   the MPM?  (I guess we wouldn't know until we tried perhaps...)

3) In the read case, the I/O is directed to a specific worker
   thread, right?  So, a worker thread makes a request for some
   amount of I/O and it is delivered to that same thread (so we
   can still use thread-local storage)?  The wait for data from
   I/O thread in worker thread will be synchronous.

4) What happens when all of the IO threads are full (and their
   ensuing buffers are full too)?  Do we just force the worker to
   wait?  In fact, I'd imagine this would be a common case.  The
   worker threads should be fairly fast - the IO thread would be
   the slow ones.

Thanks again.  I now see the big picture...  I need to study for
my exams now...  -- justin