httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Async IO was Re: Pools rewrite [2]
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 06:47:41 GMT
[ Moving this to dev@httpd since I think this is not yet an
  APR issue.  The app needs to drive this, not the portability
  library. ]

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 11:09:11PM -0500, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> The idea is to never allow your threads to block doing network i/o. Do all your
> reads/writes with non-blocking (or asynchronous) i/o.

Considering I'm a newbie here, I've just spent a lot of time in
the archives looking at what you guys have said before about
trying to do async I/O in httpd.

So, can someone tell me why we haven't done this before?  It
sure isn't because no one has wanted to.  It keeps popping up
every year or so since 1997.  What has been the killer?

I see a tremendous amount of posts around June/July 1999 about
work on async-server hybrid (ASH MPM).  However, I can't find
what happened to the bugger.  Dean kept talking about it, but
obviously something happened to halt it.

<Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.990618090647.27639I-100000@twinlark.arctic.org>
http://www.apachelabs.org/apache-mbox/199906.mbox/%3cPine.LNX.3.96dg4.990618090647.27639I-100000@twinlark.arctic.org%3e

<Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.990619160004.27639b-100000@twinlark.arctic.org>
http://www.apachelabs.org/apache-mbox/199906.mbox/%3cPine.LNX.3.96dg4.990619160004.27639b-100000@twinlark.arctic.org%3e

I wish we had a web page that listed "frequent topics" and
their point/counterpoints.  I don't want to go down any road
that has already been covered.  And, seeing the posts in this
timeframe leads me to believe that almost every point has been
covered.  -- justin