httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Source in .msi packages
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 03:59:25 GMT
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@covalent.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 3:27 PM

> No, it was my decision, not discussed, and the entire win32 installer
> is always up for discussion.  I've rarely received extensive feedback
> on Win32 installer questions, and 0 help.

Answering myself - and I want to make this 100% clear - There are a dozen
good sports from the c.i.w.ms-w who _do_ help, in terms of testing potential
.msi candidates before they drop into dist/httpd/binaries/win32.  Without
their help the apparent problems with .msi distributions would be far greater.

And it's not that I've sought help - in fact others have offered to pick up
the ball in terms of building (not necessarily improving/altering the packaging.)
That wasn't a gripe, just an observation.

Anyone interested in the .msi installer, based on the InstallShield for Windows
Installer toolbench, is welcome to have a peek at httpd-win32-msi whenever, it
is in cvs and was made available more recently through viewcvs.

> Based on my active participation on c.i.w.ms-w. I didn't see this would be
> too great an issue.

That is the cincher - much of the 'discussion' of the installer itself, the
problems and solutions - occurs on comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows.

Bill