httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Considering the Default Handler and Subrequests
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:19:55 GMT
From: "Rodent of Unusual Size" <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 2:07 PM

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:
> >
> > 3. Namespace polution is evil.  Ergo, any module should reject requests
> >    for a document with path_info if it doesn't address the name space
> >    passed in path_info for the request.
>
> Can you explain this in different words?  And/or maybe an example?

Create a document /somepath that accepts path_info but does nothing with it.

/somepath
/somepath/0
/somepath/1
/somepath/9
/somepath/a
/somepath/b
/somepath/z
/somepath/0/0
/somepath/0/1
... ad infinitum

ALL MAP to /somepath.  As far as any indexing engine is concerned, there are
an infinite discrete number of pages.  This is what makes path_info mappings
such a problem.

In viewcvs.cgi, we have a discrete number of accepted path_info mappings, all
of which point at specific files of a repository.  There are a number of good
path_info uses in mapping a file-based 'program' to a virtual space, such as
the contents of an archive file, a repository, or so forth.

But if you never use path_info, it should be rejected to prevent exactly this
sort of polution/infinite recursion.

Bill