httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: [patch (rev 2)] mod_dir refactored... needs discussion
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:31:39 GMT
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 4:14 AM

> Now I begin to wonder, if we created a fast_redirect method for mod_negotation,
> why on earth shouldn't mod_dir follow the same convention?

Following this little experiment one step further, I've come to some conclusions;

1. It's nicer.  That is, if you set up a subrequest to /webfiles/index.html.en,
   and look at its headers, you discover it's text/html, and in english.  If you
   execute the subrequest, you serve text/html english sub-content.

   If you set up a subrequest to /webfiles/, although it _will_ serve content, you
   don't know ahead of time that it happens to be english, in text/html.  If you
   execute the subrequest, you ACTUALLY serve text/html english sub-content.  So
   checking rr-> after a lookup doesn't do much for trust, does it?

2. It would be confusing to modules checking if /foo/ is a directory.  Well gee
   guys, it ends in a slash, must be a directory ;)

So, taking this all to it's logical conclusion, I've refactored a bit of the
autoindex code to do something equally useful - show DIRs as DIRs, in spite of
the mod_dir change.

I see two immediate opportunities to further improve mod_autoindex, but I don't
have the time to devote, I need to close the mod_negotation side of these issues.

a. A Really Cool feature would show Redirect entries [things in the directory that
   would return an _EXTERNAL_ redirect] as an LNK (pointy finger and all.)  But
   more important to Apache, the href="" would contain the redirect RESULT :)
   Now that saves a roundtrip to resolve something that we already could have
   shared with the client.

b. This patch isn't ready to close since it doesn't address APR_LNK files.  We
   need to decide if this points at an APR_DIR in the first place, before all the
   rest of the redirections.  No good suggestion at this moment.

That's all I had to share, comments, anyone?

View raw message