httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Logs and logs and logs [oh my!]
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2001 17:35:54 GMT
I believe Daniel brought this up (or at least he pointed it out to me)
that we go way overboard with logging directives;

 * Syntax:
 *
 *    TransferLog fn      Logs transfers to fn in standard log format, unless
 *                        a custom format is set with LogFormat
 *    LogFormat format    Set a log format from TransferLog files
 *    CustomLog fn format
 *                        Log to file fn with format given by the format
 *                        argument
 *
 *    CookieLog fn        For backwards compatability with old Cookie
 *                        logging module - now deprecated.

Isn't it time to drop TransferLog and CookieLog?

We can accomplish the same by allowing that LogFormat provides the default
for the CustomLog directive, in the absense of an optional [format] arg.

And if we offer a built-in (or default-config'ed) 'cookie' format,
of "%{Cookie}n \"%r\" %t", then it's a two bit change to turn a CookieLog
into a CustomLog file cookie command.

One of the major 'bugs' in Apache is it's configurability ... I don't think
we want to perpetuate the many-directives-to-accomplish-the-same-thing
methods.  Folks are making minor changes already to their configs, this is
as good a time as any to jettison some of the extra cruft :)

Bill