httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/mappers mod_negotiation.c
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:59:21 GMT
From: "Rodent of Unusual Size" <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 10:14 AM

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:
> >
> > Another side issue that I notice; we should _REALLY_ be
> > presenting MULTIPLE CHOICES rather than serving the smallest
> > file.  The smallest file -hack- is exactly that, someone
> > worthless for reasons debated on this list many times.
>
> If you are referring to the past behaviour that the size
> would be used as a tie-breaker if multiple documents
> matched and had equivalent quality, it is NOT a hack -- it
> is designed and intended behaviour.  And if you think
> the list has concluded multiple times that that is worthless,
> I think you are indulging your revisionism gene because you
> personally don't like it.  My recollection is quite different.

Clarifying [sorry] - it has been debated, multiple times, and several
folks agreed with the existing behavior [ergo, it's never been changed.]

With this change, now the admin has control over serving something
v.s. serving a list of options based on languages.  This is finer
grained control we didn't offer before.  I believe it mitigates
(but perhaps doesn't eliminate) the need for the size tweak.

> If the admin doesn't like that the smallest file is being
> sent, he needs to adjust his quality values.  Or we introduce
> a means of disabling this network-friendly heuristic; I'm
> not opposed to that.

How would the admin adjust his quality values?  We don't offer such
an option.  Sdding another ForceLanguagePriority-type option isn't
out of the question.  [I agree that server-side Q values are best - but
I don't have the energy to introduce them right now.]  I'd almost like
to group all such options together, but ForceLanguagePriority is a bad
choice for such a directive's name, no?

Having hacked it a bit more, I believe some additional options,
including Smallest [to consider the size] and other, similar options
are probably worthwhile.  Does anyone see merit in offering the old
behavior of indexing by the client's list of accept-language?  [Exclusive
of the new Prefer option, since they need the same index store.]  Options
I played with include Accepted or Given, and I didn't like either name.

Bill