httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Source in .msi packages
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 19:43:25 GMT
From: "Rodent of Unusual Size" <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 1:04 PM

> Changing the contents of packages that have Apache's name
> of them should be a group decision, IMHO.

My sampling shows that you are correct, sir.
There's src's in them thar tarballs!  Which package or packages
I looked at [at one time] that did not, I dunno.

> That said, the /dist/httpd/ tree contains over 500MB.
> About 65% of that is in binaries/, and most files in
> there contain the source and a small delta (the binary
> proper).  It seems reasonable to suspect that we could
> ditch at least 200MB if we had one source package for
> each version (well, two if you count Windows), and the
> platform binary packages contained only the binary
> and build-against files (.h, .so, .a, et cetera), but
> not the complete server source.

I agree with you here ... it would eliminate a huge amount of
duplication.  But that's an issue for 2.0, I suspect.

> How accomplishing the (not yet set) goal of reducing
> disk/network consumption balances against our historical
> policy of 'all the source, all the time' is something
> that perhaps is worthy of discussion.

Well all that said, I'll have a -src.msi package back online in
a day or so, now that I've noted that unix included it.

I also note that most platforms provide the complete -src tree.
I think this is appropriate, you can't provide a real patch unless
you've grepped the entire tree and determined that a given symbol
isn't going to clobber another platform's way of doing things.
Not every package has done so, but if they go and ask for the -src
package then dandy, we should give them every source.

The .msi and .exe before it only bundled win32 source files.  This
is a change to the -src.msi package.

Bill