httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf httpd-std.conf
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:48:15 GMT
From: <joshua@slive.ca>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 7:51 AM

> > >   1. Remove the directives in the document root <directory> section that
> > >   are there to handle the index.html.var and put them in their normal place
> > >   in the config file.  I see no reason to duplicate the directives and
> > >   explanations.
> >
> I don't think I've changed anything functionally.  Whether these
> directives are applied to the document root or the server context makes no
> difference.  They will get used for the majority of user content either
> way.

Should they?  Does the average user actually use index.html.var?  If not, that's
a lot of stats to waste when they don't have index.html, and no interest in using
var content.  We could turn on index.shtml and others, but we don't, because we
don't expect the typical user to need them.  We could add index.htm for our MS
products users, and many others.  We keep it simple, on purpose, with an example
[comment] of what they _could_ do here.  index.html.var could be on that list.

> As far as the order of .html and .html.var, I did not change that.
> However, I think it is fine the way it is, since MultiViews is turned off
> in the document root.

You did not change that.  And it should be transposed in the htdocs <Directory
but I need to have negotation fixed, and go back over why this was switched.

> So, I'm really not sure why you say this is wrong.  Perhaps you could
> explain.

Simplicity.  Start _very_ simple and let them add their desired goodies
to the default context.

Bill