httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: 2.0.28-beta release --coredumps
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:19:07 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz <> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 03:07:00PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > If you're starting httpd as root on Solaris, I don't think you're
> > gonna get core dumps.  End of story. (I'd be thrilled to be proven
> > wrong!!! Please!!!!!!!).  There is no sort of system control on
> > Solaris to let a process that switched form uid=0 coredump.
> man coreadm
> % coreadm
>      global core file pattern: /coredumps/core.%f.%p
>        init core file pattern: /coredumps/init-core.%f.%p
>             global core dumps: enabled
>        per-process core dumps: enabled
>       global setid core dumps: enabled
>  per-process setid core dumps: enabled
>      global core dump logging: enabled
> Anything and everything that coredumps gets captured.  We get
> a bunch of segfaults from nscd on Solaris 8.  =)  And, it captures
> all of the setuid segfaults from httpd just fine.  -- justin

too cool!  (I dunno where I heard otherwise... whatever :) )

by the way... if anybody knows of any decent web page on coredumps
(like general issues of file permissions, ulimit; or system-dependent
issues like coreadm on Solaris or the kern.sugid_coredump variable on
FreeBSD) I'd love to see it
Jeff Trawick | | PGP public key at web site:
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

View raw message