httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Remove OLD_WRITE
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:20:26 GMT
Ryan Bloom <rbb@covalent.net> writes:

> On Wednesday 21 November 2001 11:02 am, Greg Ames wrote:
> > Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > > I would like to remove the OLD_WRITE filter.  As much as we tried to
> > > prevent it, we do a LOT of buffering in the core_output_filter to handle
> > > pathological cases.  This means that we buffer at the top of the stack,
> > > and again at the bottom of the stack. We can ease the logic a lot by just
> > > removing one set of buffering.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?
> >
> > Modules that dynamically generate html, such as mod_autoindex and
> > mod_status, need buffering at the top of the stack.
>
> Why?  Buffering at the bottom of the stack accomplishes the exact same goal.

buffering at the top prevents the yoyo of going up and down the filter
stack for insignificant amounts of data; if we don't do that, then
modules have to be more complicated to avoid the CPU cost; imagine
life without stdio (or BUFF or APR_BUFFERED (sp.?) )

buffering at the bottom keeps us from doing stupid stuff
w.r.t. packets sent out the box

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...