httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Some patches to start supporting AS/400 (iSeries)
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:02:25 GMT
"Gomez Henri" <new-httpd@slib.fr> writes:

> The account httpd@slib.fr is a generic accound which let

the use of that account isn't a problem... we just wondered who sent
the patch :)

> What do you think of the patches ? I know that IBM allready
> do the Apache 2.0 port from Apache 2.0beta18, and it works
> fine on AS/400, but since the IBM fellows port was not donated
> to ASF, to be included in standard distro, I decided to spend
> a little time to works on that port.

they're small, and that's nice...  they looked weird in the mail
client I was using though...

as far as the AS/400 folks...  they have sent their changes to folks
in my department at IBM (who are more in the mainstream Apache
development)...  frankly, I found it far too much to digest at once
and have been too lazy^H^H^H^Hbusy to do anything with it

also, they've posted some fixes to dev@[apr|httpd].apache.org...

> Yes it's stupid to duplicate works but I'd like to have the
> original Apache 2.0 on my iSeries from the main source and
> repository, and not just to respect the OSS spirit of ASF.
> But, may be, some of you could try some lobbying on IBM officials
> and managers to commit the AS/400 patches back to original CVS
> for both APR and Apache 2.0

I don't think any lobbying is necessary.  They know it is in their
best interest.  But note that their code base is a lot older, with
many things changed since then.  Also, their goal was to get a stable,
tested product out in a particular timeframe, not go through the
political+technical minefield of getting patches committed.  The
results are surely different.

If you've made good progress towards getting current code ported to
AS/400, and you can post it in bite-sized chunks for us to understand,
then let's concentrate on that.

As I mentioned before, I'm curious about how far along you are.  If
you are at the state of APR recognizing that it is AS/400 but nothing
works, then I personally won't spend any time looking at the patches
until you're further along.  Others may take a different approach.

I hope this doesn't sound like any sort of gauntlet.  If we weren't
interested in your work we wouldn't have bothered commenting on your
post.

Thanks,
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...