httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: httpd 2.0.27 tarballs are available
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 20:56:07 GMT
> > Ryan the beauty of Apache 1.X is that it is platform agnostic.

    Not really, it just hardcodes values for various
    operating-systems and breaks hard, if it encounters an
    unknown OS.  Apache 2.0 is much more flexible in supporting
    OSes it has not heard of, if they provide common APIs or if
    they are similar to another OS (e.g. FreeBSD-4 becoming
    FreeBSD-5).

> > Can it be done for Apache 2.X?
>
> It has to be.  If it isn't done for Apache 2.x, then Apache 2.x is broken.

    Well, true.  Considering all the Apache 2.x problems, I'd ask
    you not to blow this out of proportion though. :)

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg