httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: MPM design abuse (was: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/prefork prefork.c)
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:26:46 GMT
On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> core_output_filter does buffering based on mimimum write thresholds,
> checks for iovec limits and multiple file buckets, and splits brigades
> accordingly, etc.  These functions would remain in core_output_filter.
> The network_out_filter would simply iterate over the buckets and send
> their contents on the network interface (apr_sock calls or
> alternatives). The network_out_filter would do no buffering, no
> splitting brigades and no decision making regarding whether content
> should be sent or not. It just writes the brigade passed to it to the
> network and it is done.

I'm not sure I see how that would work.  The whole reason
core_output_filter does so much extra work is that there are several
different ways to write to the socket, and different ones are better in
different situations.  For example, how is network_out_filter going to
know when to use sendfile() and when to use writev()?  Are you suggesting
that core_output_filter will stick some metadata buckets in the brigade or
change the bucket type to some custom bucket type with a special meaning
(eg a file bucket would always get sendfiled but an iovec bucket would get
writev'd etc)?

If it's ready, maybe the easiest thing would be if you just posted the
code for network_out_filter so we all had a better idea of what you're
proposing.  Code is speech.  :)

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com