httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ssl-std.conf
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 00:24:38 GMT
On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Daniel Lopez wrote:

> I understand how the mechanism works, what confuses me is removing the
> Port directive and adding it in the ServerName. Many Apache 1.3 users, when
> upgrading to Apache 2.0 are going to be looking for the Port directive, take
> a few minutes to figure out what is going wrong, read the docs and use
> ServerName instead. No big deal, but for the same reason, why change the
> syntax?
> (just following the golden rule of engineering "if it works, don't
> mess with it" :)

People with existing working configurations were never the problem.  It's
people trying to get it set up right in the first place that got confused
by it.  We got probably dozens of bug reports (and even patches!) about
this, all because of people misunderstanding the difference between Listen
and Port.  Port and ServerName logically go together, might as well
combine them into one directive and cut through all these problems.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA