httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject BSD Makefiles (was Re: httpd 2.0.27 tarballs are available)
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 02:25:03 GMT
On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, The Doctor wrote:

> > > Ryan the beauty of Apache 1.X is that it is platform agnostic.
> > > Can it be done for Apache 2.X?
> >
> > It has to be.  If it isn't done for Apache 2.x, then Apache 2.x is broken.
>
> Please fix.  I am willing to assist.

Okay, so I've been looking into this (thanks for the account), and I'm
starting to see the problem.  Looks like our build/bsd_makefile and
build/sysv_makefile scripts are doing a halfass job, and only SOME of the
Makefiles are getting converted in either direction.

Specifically, the Makefiles in apr-util are not getting converted to
bsd-make flavor, which is why make doesn't work.

But the rest ARE converted, which is why gmake doesn't work; the
build/sysv_makefile script doesn't help either, because it misses some
while converting them back, so even running that doesn't let you use
gmake.

A quick and dirty hack of making build/sysv_makefile and
build/bsd_makefile do recursive searches for Makefiles to convert makes
the thing compile correctly, but then again that breaks all the magic
that's trying to happen behind the scenes with build/fastgen.sh and all.
I'm still trying to figure out how this is supposed to work.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA