httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Install Script (please)
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2001 19:24:47 GMT
On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> On Sunday 04 November 2001 10:26 am, Sander Temme wrote:
> > on 11/4/01 10:12 AM, Justin Erenkrantz at jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com wrote:
> > > What's wrong with ./config.nice?  =)  -- justin
> >
> > That it is ephemeral? It gets overwritten the next time you invoke
> > configure, so if you want to experiment with options you lose anything but
> > your last run. I keep my little build script outside my working copy.
>
> I just keep my config.nice script outside of my working copy, and that
> problem goes away.  :-)

I do the same thing.  I just have a little collection of ./config.nice's,
and that's all I need.

As for the installer.sh concept, I'm -0, because I feel it isn't needed.
As Pier pointed out, there are still almost as many steps with
installer.sh as doing it manually.  Besides, I tend to redo certain parts
at certain times, so even if installer.sh did all steps at once, it still
wouldn't help me much.  For example, I tend to run variations on make
clean/distclean/extraclean depending on what I'm doing and how many other
things have changed in the system in the meanwhile... it's pretty easy to
do that by hand and I feel it gives me more control over the thing.
Anyone using a checked-out-from-CVS copy of Apache is probably a
developer, and yet installer.sh hides the output of
buildconf/configure/etc, making it harder for the developers to notice any
problems that might be happening in the build system.

My $0.02...

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com