httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>
Subject Re: apparent mod_cgid bug Re: Two apache/2.0.29-dev problems
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2001 18:26:05 GMT
On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

| On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 08:30:48AM -0800, Brian Pane wrote:
| > I think this bit of cgid_handler() is the problem:
| >            /* Soak up all the script output */
| >            while (apr_file_gets(argsbuffer, HUGE_STRING_LEN, tempsock)
| > > 0) {
| >                continue;
| >            }
|
| Yup, that is completely bogus.  I just committed a fix that should
| make apr_file_gets loop while apr_file_gets returns APR_SUCCESS.
| To make it clearer, I also changed all of the apr_file_gets calls
| to check APR_SUCCESS explicitly.
|
| Dale, please let me know if this fixes it.  If so, we may want to
| bump the tag on this file for 2.0.28.  -- justin

So far, so good. I've been running the new code for 15 minutes now, and a
run-away process hasnt occured yet (one would've by now).

To add to the 2.0.28/2.0.29 discussion, this bug reared it's head only
after I made what was in the CVS tree my production server on port 80,
replacing 1.3.20, thus exposing it to way more traffic.

I never saw this occurance whilst testing the CVS tree by itself on port
8080. My point is that I think 2.0.16 is rather dated, and Apache 2 would
really benefit from a release of the latest code base.

alot of things have been changed and fixed between 2.0.16 and now, and I
think we'd rather spend the time fixing contemporary bugs, rather than
having users out on the net report bugs in 2.0.16 that have long since
been addressed.

/dale