httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject module docs in xml
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2001 01:56:38 GMT
Here goes nothing...

Attached are some examples for a proposed format for an xml version of the
module docs along with an Anakia vsl file to transform it to html and an
example of the resulting html.

I am mostly interested in feedback on the xml format.

Some things I don't care about right now:

1. Critiques of the resulting html.  The html can obviously be beautified
considerably, and we will hash that out later.

2. Arguing with anyone about the best xml->html transformation tool.  At the
moment I'm most familiar with Anakia, so that's what I'm using.  If other
people have other preferences, feel free to supply the transformation tools.

3. A DTD.  Actually, I'd love to have one, but I'm not going to spend the
time to figure it
out right now, since the tools to actually use them are so lame.

4. The non-module docs.  We can work that out later.

To integrate this with the existing docs with the least amount of hassle, I
suggest transforming "in place".  That is, the xml files would live in the
same directory as the html files.  I would need to commit the .vsl file and
some build scripts to httpd-2.0/docs/manual/.  We probably wouldn't want to
commit the .jar files, but we could keep them in an easily accessible place.

So what I want to know is:
1. Is there a basic buy-in that this is the correct direction to go?
2. Does anyone have major concerns or suggestions about the xml format?  The
only things that I can think of adding right now are some inline elements
like <modulename> and <directivename>.

Conditional on the answers to those two, we can take this discussion over to
docs@httpd to hash out the details.

Joshua.