httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: 2_0_28 tarballs rolled and available
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 00:31:01 GMT
on 11/12/01 3:46 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. at wrowe@covalent.net wrote:

> Both Greg and I are curious, will OS X users really grok their build is
> darwin,
> or will we need lots of colorful notes?  Or, do we choose a different name?

I can speak for myself only, but the ones that will build an Apache alpha
from source, will. I would advocate keeping 'darwin' as identifier for the
platform, because on the unix level it makes itself known as such:

[monalisa:~] sctemme% uname -a
Darwin MonaLisa 1.4 Darwin Kernel Version 1.4: Sun Sep  9 15:39:59 PDT 2001;
root:xnu/xnu-201.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc

Upon a release, we could put a line in the release notes or README of the
dist/httpd directory that says 'For MacOSX, use the darwin distribution' and
/or rely on the Mac download sites to clue users in.

Downloading the darwin tarball right now.

S.

--
Covalent Technologies                             sctemme@covalent.net
Engineering group                                Voice: (415) 536 5214

   PGP Fingerprint: 1E74 4E58 DFAC 2CF5 6A03  5531 AFB1 96AF B584 0AB1

use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
of the original message