httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <madhusudan_mathiha...@hp.com>
Subject RE: 2_0_28 tarballs rolled and available
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 08:27:48 GMT
-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Bannert [mailto:aaron@clove.org]
>I think Justin is going in the other direction -- your proposed changes
>need to be broken down into finer grained proposals/functionality.

I don't think I quite got it - I'll probably wait and see what he means by
"a new APR API for accessing shmem that treats it as a fixed-length
hash/DBM".. I'd be willing to help if required.

>I'd rather see us leave the apr_shm stuff that's in there right now,
>and then add your proposed freelist management code as an alternative or
>supplement to our barebones apr_shm. That way we don't add unnecessary
>overhead for code that's already using apr_shm, and we can still move
>ahead with other shared data types which will eventually lead to other
>forms of ssl session cache.

I do share your concerns regarding the overhead.. But, I still feel that
freelist management should be a part of any shared memory management. If
there's no such policy, then we should just not coin the word *management* -
because there's no management being done here.

-Madhu