httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <madhusudan_mathiha...@hp.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/ssl config.m4
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 17:27:53 GMT
-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Bannert [mailto:aaron@clove.org]
>On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:52:02PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
>> >   -APACHE_MODULE(ssl, [SSL/TLS support (mod_ssl)], $ssl_objs, , no, [
>> >   +APACHE_MODULE(ssl, [SSL/TLS support (mod_ssl)], [$ssl_objs
\$(EXTRA_LIBS)], , no, [

>> Huh?? Why aren't the libraries linked into the module? Why does it need
>> be specified explicitly?
>
>If we don't explicitly the libs we can't use mod_ssl as a DSO. (It'll
>link, but it will be unable to find symbols at loadtime.)

EXACTLY..

>> To me, it seems like the correct fix is to put the EXTRA_LIBS on the link
>> line... not on each of the modules that might *happen* to require
libraries.
[...]
>We could add this to the SH_LINK macro as you suggested, or we could just
>add -L/path/to/ssl -R/path/to/ssl -lssl and the same set for crypto
directly
>into the link phase for mod_ssl. I'm not sure at this point which was
>is the right way to go.

IMHO, that would be messier.. As Aaron had suggested earlier, a better
method would be to have a SSL_LIBS variable defined in config_vars.mk, and
then add it to the link line if SSL is linked statically or to the
modules/ssl/modules.mk if MOD_SSL is configured DSO.. In the current method
(with EXTRA_LIBS in modules/ssl/modules.mk), the EXTRA_LIBS may get included
twice if mod_ssl is linked statically - but it really should not matter - as
the today's compilers are intelligent to pick up only the required symbols..

-Madhu