httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <madhusudan_mathiha...@hp.com>
Subject RE: mod_ssl as DSO
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 02:31:29 GMT


-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Bannert [mailto:aaron@clove.org]

>On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 05:17:40PM -0800, MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN
(HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:
>> >What platform and MPM are you using? (ie if you are using a threaded MPM
>> >like worker, do you still see the degradation with the prefork mpm?)
>> 
>> HPUX 11.0, Worker MPM, 2.0.28-dev
>
>I don't know if this is a known issue or not, but we may want to look
>into reducing lock contention inside mod_ssl. All of the intraprocess
>locks are being used in openssl, while the global locks look like they're
>happening around all accesses of the session cache.
>
>I will eventually convert all apr_lock_t types to the new APR lock
>types, which may raise the ceiling but won't fix actual lock contention.

I don't think that's the actual problem.. The response varies from 38 tps
(concurrency = 5) to 0.5 tps (concurrenty = 10) :-!.. I used to get 30 tps
consistently on my box earlier (even with concurrency = 150).. Do you also
see a similar degradation ?.. If no, there's some problem in my compiler /
compiler options.. 


>> I get unresolved symbols error during the LoadModule phase. The reason I
>> introduced this is because when mod_ssl is being loaded, it should bring
in
>> all the dependent libraries (libssl and libcrypto).. It also means that
we
>> shouldn't be linking -lssl, -lcrypto with httpd or any other executables.
>
>That makes sense. The reason I'm not seeing those problems is because
>I've only got static libraries for ssl/crypto. I'll look into this further,
>since I'm not sure that including all of EXTRA_LIBS is the best way to go.
>Maybe APACHE_CHECK_SSL_TOOLKIT needs to be revamped to deal with DSOs
>that dynamically link against shared versions of the openssl libs.

Yep.. I did try modifying the acinclude.m4 file to have a SSL_LIBS instead
of EXTRA_LIBS - but then failed miserably :-(.. I can try doing it again
(i'd rather prefer somebody who knows autoconf to make the changes).. 
The reason I included EXTRA_LIBS is : it doesn't have significantly more
than required libraries.. Moreover, since the modern-day linkers pick up
only the required symbols from the libraries, it really doesn't matter which
/ how many libraries we pass to the link line.. 

-Madhu


Mime
View raw message