httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <>
Subject Re: Announcement
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 06:11:36 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Should the Announcement contain all changes since 2.0.27, since 2.0.18
> (the last public release), or since 2.0.16 (the beta)?
> I'm feel like it should contain all of the changes since the last public
> release, but wow, that's a lot.

Thinking about Joe User, or just any reporter out there, attaching the
official CHANGES file to the announcement looks irrelevant.

Looking at the infinite list of changes, I think that it may be better
to leave it for the "CHANGES" file. The announcement should only have a
public link to aseparate copy of CHANGES.html file at; The
official announcement itself, should only have a readable (for dummies)
list like this (ONLY AN EXAMPLE):

* 178 performance optimizations
* 117 memory improvements
* 79 fixes of retuned values and returned codes
* SSL support
* Proxy support
* 24 anomalies (like PORT<=>LISTEN) resolved
* Ported to 31 new platforms + 92 portability improvements
* 214 doc improvements
* 57 improvements to messages, reports and logging
* 35 MPM/multi-threading fixes
* 12 new MIME types
* 25 security improvements
* 41 features, supported by 1.3.20 and not by 2.0.18
* 5 new modules
* 14 new directives and 24 conf options and parameters
* Re-implementation of 4 existing modules, now as filters
* etc.

("improvements" sounds better than "bug fixes", or "memory leaks"...)

Of course, the "Known Issues" must remain, as well as a clear link to
the official CHANGES file, as well as a list of incompatibilities (like
the "Port" directive).

But all of these suggestions, are only my humble opinion...

P.S. Isn't there any PR agency working for ASF?
Eli Marmor
CTO, Founder
Fax.:   +972-9-766-1314          P.O.B. 7004
Mobile: +972-50-23-7338          Kfar-Saba 44641, Israel

View raw message