httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: mod_include vs file descriptors
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:07:48 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Brian Pane wrote:
>
>>How about a "close-on-mmap" flag for file buckets, which
>>mod_core would set when creating file buckets but mod_file_cache
>>wouldn't?
>>

>I've proposed that before.  But if it wasn't vetoed it was -0.5'ed, with
>the reason being that a lazy closing of file descriptors and other
>resources is one of the main points of the pool cleanup system; closing
>all these things can take a good deal of time, and it's better to do it
>after the client has received all of the data than during mainline request
>processing.

I sympathize with the argument that it's better for performance to
delay the close until after the data is sent, but I think that argument
is more applicable in a benchmark lab environment than in the real
world.  In the real world, I'm happy to spend an extra 50 microseconds
at the start of the HTTP response to close the fd, because closing the
fd allows the server to handle many more connections per process
(especially in the mod_include case).

--Brian