httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: CL for Proxy Requests
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:37:00 GMT
On Friday 30 November 2001 01:19 pm, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > Yeah, but that is one of the problems with the proxy right now.  It
> > doesn't use the correct mechanisms for creating theham backend request.
> > If you remember, Danny Lopez asked for this ability a while ago, and we
> > didn't implement it. In fact, I modified the proxy to use a hook for
> > creating the request, which allows modules to insert their filters.  This
> > would have allowed a module to hook the create_poxy_request, and add
> > their own filters, but the proxy doesn't use the filters correctly.
>
> I don't understand enough about the "correct" way of using the filters
> to see what is being done wrong - can you explain how it should be done?
> When I have some time soon (when current project is off plate) I'll have
> time to look at this.

Our proxy doesn't use filters.  It tries to create fake requests, but it is a hack.
It writes directly to the socket occasionally, and even when it doesn't, it is too
hard to follow what is actually happening in the proxy.

The proxy needs to be abstracted a lot more than it is, and it needs to take
advantage of filters.

Ryan
Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org