httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: CL for Proxy Requests
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 04:20:35 GMT
On Thursday 29 November 2001 08:01 pm, Eli Marmor wrote:
> Content-Length is not passed through proxy requests, when Apache 2.0 is
> used as the proxy.
>
> Is it a bug?
> Feature?
> Limitation?
>
> Or is it just me?  My configuration?
>
> Many clients depend on this data, for example audio/video players, so
> it is quite bad to lack CL.
>
> Is there any way to tell the API that the filters don't change the
> response size so the original CL can be used?

There is no way to do that, because you will never know if filters changed the
data or not.  The reason we don't return a C-L, is that we don't have all of the
data, so we can't computer the C-L.  There is a possibility that we could fix this,
with a hack. Basically, have the C-L filter check to see if the only bucket is a
socket bucket or a pipe bucket.  If so, leave the C-L alone.  We can be
sure that the data hasn't been changed in that case.  If the only bucket is
any other type, we will automagically compute the C-L.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org