httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 ROADMAP STATUS
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 05:33:48 GMT
On Tuesday 27 November 2001 08:31 pm, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:45:38PM -0800, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > My guess is that once 2.0 goes GA, we'll all be busy fixing bugs and
> > working on more fun stuff for a while.  Also, take a look at everything
> > in the ROADMAP file.  99% of it can be done as a dot release in the 2.0
> > tree.  Most of it doesn't require large portions of the code to be
> > re-written.
>
> Well, that's an issue of the contents in ROADMAP not its location.  =)
>
> My original concern about ROADMAP being separated from a versioned
> source repository still stands.  -- justin
>
> P.S.  IMHO, the idea is that when we go GA, we're pretty damn
> certain there aren't a lot of bugs in it.  When we say 2.0 is GA,
> we MUST mean that we 100% recommend switching from 1.3 to 2.0.
> I haven't seen any major showstoppers from 2.0.28, so we're on the
> right track.  2.0.29 should have performance improvements, but may
> have some bugs due to that...

I think you are kidding yourself.  Take a look at 1.3.  That was supposed to
be an interim release, in between 1.2 and 2.0.  The real bugs won't really
start to come out of 2.0 until it hits GA and millions of sites start to migrate to
it.  Also, remember that most sites aren't going to migrate to 2.0 until it has
been out for a very long time.

I'm all for starting to look at 2.1 and 3.0, but let's not jump the gun too much.
I would thoroughly expect at least 22 2.0 GA releases, just like we had with
1.3, and I would expect that a lot of the advancements people want to make
can be done very easily in a 2.0 framework.

Even the async work can be done inside of 2.0.  It won't be fully async, but
we can do a lot of the low hanging fruit.

Ryan
Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org