httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0.27 and 2.0.28 RPM available
Date Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:32:07 GMT
[ Please inline your patches rather than attaching them unless
  you are using LookOut!  It makes it awfully hard to review.  ]

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:29:19AM +0100, GOMEZ Henri wrote:
> >>      - Modify apachectl and apxs to use @sbindir@/@progname@ instead
> >>        of @prefix@/bin/@progname@. A security concert on
> >many distrib
> >>        (ie Redhat which use /usr/sbin for httpd)
> >
> >Check.

I've committed the change to use @sbindir@ in apxs.

apachectl is a much harder beast as we have to get rid of the
$(exec_prefix) crap in config_vars.mk (sbindir=$(exec_prefix)/bin -
we can't have the ()s in there).  For some reason, I think that is
what the Debian folks posted as a sed script.  Daniel?  I don't
have the time to do this right now.

For PIDFILE, you meant @runtimedir@, didn't you?  But, it has
the same problem as @sbindir@.

I also won't change httpd-std.conf as we want them to explicitly
run apachectl startssl which defines SSL (what you'd really want to
change is ssl-std.conf anyway not httpd-std.conf - that check there
is right - if you change define SSL to define HAVE_SSL you have the
right idea).  FWIW, I think it should be enabled if it is compiled
in, but no one else agrees with me.  =)

> >>      - update apxs to let user use it's own installed
> >libtool instead of
> >>        the one in $prefix/build.
> >
> >Check.

No.  We want to be picky with our libtool version - the version we
built with (i.e. in build/) is the one want to use with
apxs-enabled builds.

> >>      - add a --with-ssl-port as we have --with-port
> >
> >Nope, could you please send this to dev@httpd?
>
> Requirement sent yesterday.

Commented on this yesterday.  I don't like this.

> >>      - have httpd-std.conf supporting datadir and config.layout.
> >>        For example, htdocs location in conf file, still
> >didn't follow what
> >> has
> >>        been set in config.layout.
> >
> >Hm, I just have a very minimalistic apache2.conf that I distribute,
> >users can make changes in httpd.conf (simplifies packaging).
>
> Do you put your own copy of apache2.conf (we're using httpd2.conf) or
> do you put a patched version from distro ? The latest release expand
> nicely with @@LoadModule@@, and I'd like if they could add a @@AddModule@@
> to make <IfModule xxx> works.

Can you please give an example of what you want?

> >>      The general goal is to try to have Apache 2.0 more FHS compliant
> >> without having
> >>      to make huge patchs (or perl replace) at each release ;)
> >
> >Well, my package manages to fit into Debian FHS, and only has
> >11 patches
> >all up.
>
> FYI, here is a part of what should be patched or change via perl to make
> apache 2 fit better on FHS from my spec file :
<snip, snip>

I have no clue what this is.  =)  Please explain.

> I've got some questions for Apache2 developpers :
>
> What prefix represent, a basedir for conf, or binary,
> or data ?

I would say binary, but it is all relative to the layout.

> Should I set $prefix to /etc/httpd2 instead of /usr ?

I don't think so.

> If may fit better with my layout where ALL config,
> and particulary the one for build subdir live in /etc/httpd2/

We *should* respect sysconfdir - then all of config stuff goes
into /etc/httpd2.  I guess you could make a case that build is
part of the sysconfdir, but I'm not so sure - none of it is
user-configurable.  It's a different beast.  -- justin