httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <>
Subject Re: URL encoding hostnames
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2001 05:17:22 GMT
On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 01:34:40PM -0800, Marc Slemko wrote:
> (offtopic, but related...)
> is "" a valid URL refering to the same resource
> that "" does?
> RFC 2616 section 3.2.3 seems to imply that, for comparison purposes,
> they are the same.
> RFC 2396 on generic URIs defines "server" in a way that doesn't allow
> URI encoding, but that isn't specific to the http scheme, so it
> could be overridden.

The BNF for host does not allow it, and that is what is used by 2616.
However, there have been requests to change that in the next revision.

> If a %-encoded hostname is valid in a URL, is it valid in a Host: header?

Not currently, but possibly in a future revision.

> And, from the practical side, is there any reason to allow %-encoded
> hostnames in URLs?

The requests were coming from the DNS internationalization folks.
Personally, I don't think it is a good idea.

View raw message