httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: worker MPM Question
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2001 19:26:15 GMT
On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 11:09:54AM -0800, Brian Pane wrote:
> My hypothesis is that the inactive processes are never able to lock
> the accept mutex.  If you truss one of the processes that never does
> anything, what do you see?

That's a good point, since the accept listener loop is tight, it may
be starving off the other processes. Solaris is safe from kernel bugs
associated with the thundering herd, right? Since there are fewer
processes sitting on that accept mutex, I suggest you experiment with
simply turning off the mutex entirely (whatever happened to having an
AcceptMutex none option?). Having 6 processes race out of poll/select and
into accept may be lighterweight than having the same number contending
for a crossprocess mutex, especially for a server already getting pummeled
by incomming requests.

-aaron