httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: can somebody remind me why the threaded.c MPM is still around?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:56:55 GMT
On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 08:43:00AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> The only additional requirement with worker is condition variables.

I believe the overriding constraints are the fork semantics, but yes
condition variables are another requirement. However, the worker MPM
only uses the APR calls for all locks/threads/condition variables,
so if it's supported in APR it'll work everywhere.

OTOH, I'm -0 for replacing prefork with worker on any platform until
we discuss the tradeoffs a little more. I've read no statistical
distributions of the ways apache is applied, which is what I'd need
to make an informed decision on what MPM with what parameters would
be optimal. I still seem to think that prefork will be better in
the general case, but I could be convinced otherwise.

-aaron