httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: MPM re-write for network logic
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:33:57 GMT
On Tuesday 13 November 2001 04:35 pm, dean gaudet wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > I am trying to remove the network logic from the MPMs, so that modules
> > can implement different transport layers.
>
> are you referring to multiplexing transport layers?  'cause what's there
> already should work fine for non-multiplexed transports... i.e. you've got
> SSL implemented already.

The idea is to allow an MPM to use multiple communication mediums.  For
example, IBM has the AFPA cache, which doesn't communicate over regular
sockets.  It uses it's own socket type.  Our SSL implementation encrypts the
data in memory, and we just write the data to the socket using the standard
apr network calls.

This will also allow us to easily abstract out some of the stuff that has been
hacked in in the past.  For example, I am re-writing the worker MPM to
use this logic, and the pipe_of_death is no longer a special case, it works
just like every other socket as far as Apache is concerned.  The Unix Domain
sockets in the perchild MPM are another example of a hack that can be
cleaned up a bit with this logic.

I hope I answered your question, but I'm not sure that I did.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org