httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: MPM design abuse (was: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/prefork prefork.c)
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:37:20 GMT
On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:39:30AM -0800, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> Don't think of it as removing the socket usage from the MPM. The point of this
> is to augment what the MPM is doing.  Here's my point, the core already does
> all of the direct network logic.  The MPM maps the network to a thread, it
> doesn't do any real network logic, nor should it.  Currently, our MPMs are
> too close to the network. Also, don't think of MPMs as separate from the core.
> They are a pluggable part of the core.

The MPM should be responsible for defining the client interface (conn_rec),
right?  Wouldn't it make sense, then, for the MPM to be responsible for
creating the lowest-layer filter?  In other words, maybe we should move
the code from core to mpm_common, and let some MPMs (like Win's AcceptEx)
define their own connection management filter.

....Roy