httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 05:35:34 GMT
On Monday 12 November 2001 09:12 pm, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:48:21AM -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> >   3) Nobody can veto a release -- showstoppers are merely a tool to make
> >      everyone aware of a veto on a specific change or a bug that everyone
> >      agrees must be fixed before a release.
> [ Obviously, you know way more about this than I do, but I would
>   appreciate any clarification. ]
> My understanding from past conversations on list was that no one
> could veto a rolling of a tarball.  However, at the same time,
> it was mentioned that it was not possible to do a GA release if
> there were any outstanding "showstoppers" - as these are in effect,
> vetos.  The limitation here is not in the actual rolling of the
> release (you can't stop that) - just the upper limit on what we
> can call it.  If it has a showstopper listed in STATUS, my
> understanding is that it may not be called GA.  Am I wrong?

Yes and no.  The whole point of calling something a showstopper is that
everybody on list agrees that you can't have a GA release with that bug
present.  So, it isn't that it is a veto, it is more like an agreement that these
issues are too important, and nobody will suggest GA until they are fixed.

Ryan Bloom
Covalent Technologies

View raw message