httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:05:03 GMT
On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 08:49:27PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> How many people really give a shit?  I'm truly curious.

I do.  =)  I believe that our code is also a way to teach people.
We are espousing our code as a "reference implementation" - to me,
that means it must be clean, precise, and the best we can make it.
In my (limited) experience, clean code is also usually easier to
review.  So, I think there is a tangible benefit by enforcing a
unified style throughout the code base.

I first learned the httpd code by sifting through the code.  If the
code is all jumbled (tabs and spaces conflicting, long lines, bad
scoping, etc), that would have bugged me enormously.  Now that I'm
familiar with the 2.0 code, it bugs me even more.  =)  At least in
the 1.3 series, most of the code was pretty standardized.  But,
people who cared about the code style no longer have the time to
be bitchy about it.  I have no problem being a style pedant and
forcing all of the code being conformant.

The one valid complaint I've seen about code style changes is when
it is done after a release.  That was Dean's complaint in the 1.3
series - people were committing style changes after 1.3 was
released.  I'd like to learn from that and do it proactively.

> Personally, I'd "fix" the style in code I'm mucking around with, I
> have no issue with other people "fixing" style on a larger scale, but
> tracking this in the STATUS file and even bringing up the
> "showstopper" label seems a little silly to me when we haven't had a
> beta since April :)

Recently, Ken, Aaron, and I have been making some attempts at
reformatting as we go along, but I wonder if it would be best to
speed this up by doing it all at once.  Perhaps a perl script
would come in handy?

Yes, there are other things I'd like to tackle, but I think this
at least deserves merit in STATUS.  =)  -- justin